Monday, December 17, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012: Stats

Well, it's been a month and a half.

Literally. It's been just over a month and a half since I began work on my third novel. It has been eleven days since I finished that novel. I have spent most of the time since that momentous occasion blowing my nose*, reconnecting with my family, and staring blearily at the wall trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do with myself now.

Also sleeping. There has been a ridiculous amount of sleeping going on here.

Anyway, I thought I'd resurface to give you some stats from this past NaNoWriMo. And so, without further ado ...

STATS FOR SARAH'S THIRD BOOK:

Date I had the original idea: Oct 08, 2012
Date I began the first draft: Nov 01, 2012
Date I ended the first draft: Dec 06, 2012

Goal word count: 65k-80k
Actual word count: 68,649
Most words written in a day: 7,046
Least words written in a (writing) day**: 108
Average words written per (writing) day: 2,214

Number of viewpoint characters: 2
Number of chapters: 22
Number of scenes: 81

Scenes I forgot to put in***: 1
Side characters who are demanding their own spin-off series: 1
Instances of the word 'coffee': 124
Cups of coffee I have consumed in my lifetime: 0****
Scenes in which my MC was sporting glasses: 1
Alpha readers who noticed that she had glasses: 0 (I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, alphas.)
Times I thought I despised the book and it despised me and we should all die: ∞
Times I loved the book and it loved me and we twirled in a shower of glitter and daisies: ∞
Nights I stayed up until 4 AM writing: 1
Jokes about champagne-soaked love zombies I wrote at 4 AM: Ummm ...
Squeals uttered over this book: Enough to compensate for the several barns of piglets I don't have.
Sighs breathed over this book: About enough to power a small wind farm.
Tears cried over this book: Rivers. Specifically, the Nile and the Amazon.
Times I have caught myself wanting to reread it: MANY MANY MANY
Times I have succumbed: Zero. I shan't reread until revision. I SHAN'T. *whacks self*
FEELINGS that this book makes me FEEL: ALL THE FEELINGS. ALL OF THEM.
Units of excitement I feel over the possible eventuality of you reading it: 600,000,000^10

And, finally, I COULD NOT DECIDE which researching Google search was the most amusing/disturbing/inane, so I will post FIVE of them and let you decide.

Google Search #1: weird taste in coffee
Google Search #2: percentage of murderers in America
Google Search #3: how many people fit in a taxi
Google Search #4: penalty for manslaughter in Oregon
Google Search #5: why not to get a cat flap

Looking at these, I am mildly surprised at how tame my searches turned out for this book. I guess it helps that I wasn't killing anyone by disembowelment this time.

Anyway, that about wraps up my NaNo stats for this year! Please leave a comment to tell me which strange Google Search YOU prefer, and have a very merry Christmas or other holiday of your choosing!


* I had the HEAD COLD OF DOOM, people. It was awful, and it stuck around for a full two weeks. I thought the skin rimming my nostrils would NEVER RECOVER.

** I don't write on Sundays. Partially for religious reasons, partially because I would probably starve to death if I didn't have one day a week to act like a rational person.

*** I didn't technically FORGET this scene. I just had no idea what to do with it or where to put it. And so I left it until the very end, at which point I figured out that it belonged at the very beginning. I'll put it there next draft.

**** Again, religion. Mormons don't drink coffee. This is probably the only reason I am not a hollow shell of caffeine-fueled words.

1 comment:

  1. You are lovely and silly and ridiculous. Also, I did notice the glasses - I remember thinking, oh, she must wear contacts usually - but then I immediately forgot about it. And my favorite google search is penalties for manslaughter.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts here. Or your cookies. Really, anything you feel like sharing.