Saturday, January 12, 2013

How I Broke My New Year's Resolution Without Ever Actually Starting It

*looks up at title remorsefully*

That pretty much says it all, doesn't it? Here I was with this great post all planned out about how in the new year I was going to make a habit of blogging more and not abandoning this place for months at a time. And then Christmas happened, and then there were some more days, and then all of a sudden it was today.

New Year's Resolutions are overrated anyway, right?

So, moving on from resolutions, here are some things I plan to do this year, which I am telling you because of ACCOUNTABILITY. Because if the INTERNET knows than I CANNOT GIVE UP. Ahem.

1. Graduate from high school. This is going to be harder than it sounds, because I was not actually planning on graduating until this year. (I was just going to go straight to university.) And so now I get to obtain ONE HUNDRED CREDITS in ONE YEAR. Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha.

2. Write some books. I mean it. 2013 is THE YEAR. I have a fancy new idea all ready to start next month, and I'm getting SO CLOSE to the page-one rewrite of another one I can TASTE* it.

3. Revise some books. My NaNo novels of the last two years are calling to me. I'm going to be starting on Holly Lisle's How To Revise Your Novel next month, which I am insanely excited about. I have done some of her clinics, and they were all fabulous.

4. Get a new job. This is more of a hopeful, begging sort of plan. I don't know if it's actually going to happen -- there aren't many job opportunities where I live, and moving out requires, you know, money -- but I REALLY REALLY WANT a new job anyway. Not that I'm not glad to have my current job. Anyone who knows me knows that sanding picture frames at minimum wage is EXACTLY what I want to do with my life*.

5. Enter the query wars. Again, I'm not 100% positive that this is going to happen this year. I want it to, and you can bet that I'll be working my fingerprints smooth trying to get there. But whether I query or not depends on how well Goal #3 goes***.

So those are my Brand New Goals for this year. What are yours?


* It smells like strawberry-kiwi pie. Just in case you were wondering. [Disclaimer: I have never actually SMELLED strawberry-kiwi pie. This will be remedied ASAP, because it looks delicious.]

** I bet you thought I was going to say I don't actually like my job. WRONG. I LOVE SANDING PICTURE FRAMES.

*** Also on the alignment of the planets and the saltiness of the sea, and maybe a little bit dependent on how much liquid courage I pour on my breakfast cereal. But mostly on Goal #3.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! It's your new friend from TCWT group(the one who reblogs her own stuff).
    I'm going to try getting that revising book. Because suddenly I am excited to revise my Nano'11 book. After it sat their, and gathered computer dust for over a year.
    Also, TAG, you're it! http://avonsbabbles.wordpress.com/2013/01/18/the-weirdest-meme-on-the-block/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, hello there!

    I DEFINITELY recommend HTRYN. It's pricey, but brilliant. We're using my homeschooling funding for it, which means that I get high school credit, which is even MORE brilliant. Ha.

    I accept the tag. You'll see the post in a day or so.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts here. Or your cookies. Really, anything you feel like sharing.