Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is a very, erm, CONTROVERSIAL holiday. I myself don't have strong feelings on it one way or another, but I happen to be quite close to someone who does. I thought I'd take this opportunity to share a page of her story with you.


* * *

Valentine’s Day is not my favourite holiday. In fact, if I were to list my favourite holidays, Valentine’s Day would hover somewhere near rock bottom — several ranks below Labour Day but ahead of Boxing Day, because if there’s anything that makes me sicker than shopping, it’s obligatory shopping. And Valentine’s Day is about nothing if not shopping.

I should know. I work at Walmart.

I wipe a strand of sweaty red hair out of my face. I have never been so happy to clock out. My register has featured an endless parade of balding men bearing Hallmark cards and ticked off women who are trying their best to look like they really couldn’t care less about being single on the most romantic day of the year.

I’m not buying any of it, literally or figuratively. I just want to get home.

* * *

Dear, dear. A bit of a downer, isn't she? I'd better get back to her story right away. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! *throws cookies in the air and flees*

2 comments:

  1. Hey! It's Joan from TCWT. This is so weird but I used to shop at Walmart a lot and I've always wondered what it'd be like if I made a character work there XD I love your character so far--I'd love to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! Maybe we'll swap pages sometime?

      Delete

Feel free to share your thoughts here. Or your cookies. Really, anything you feel like sharing.