Wednesday, October 12, 2011

On Dance Class and Appearances

Today, I had my first jazz class. It went exactly as expected.

I stink.

I have no balance, no grace, no rhythm. And I'm surrounded by a lot of girls who, if not perfect, are way too close for me to tell the difference.

It's kind of humiliating. But that's okay, because I am not there to excel. I am there to improve. And when you're looking for improvement, rock bottom is a pretty good place to start.

Anyway, today's class got me thinking about something that's far more important to me than it ought to be. Three billion guesses what that is.

Yeah, you're right. Appearances. I focus WAY too much on how I appear to others. I obsess over tiny details of things that I say or write, terrified of accidentally insulting someone. Then I anxiously wait for their response -- and if they don't give one, or if it's non-commital, I'm sure I've committed some HORRIBLE social crime that will forever doom me to nerdy lonerhood.

Yeah. Seriously. My only solace is that lots of other people do the same thing.

But how much solace is that, really? If everybody else chewed on their shoelaces, would I want to do the same thing? It's not really my CARING about appearances that bothers me -- after all, if I didn't care about appearances I WOULD be an outcast. It's the way that obsessing about them changes my behavior.

Take jazz class, for example. I was horrible. I knew it, and I knew everyone else knew it. But there was a part of me that was terrified that the others wouldn't realize that I knew how horrible I was! What if they thought I was too stupid to notice? So I almost unconsciously fussed over my difficulties, grimacing when I stumbled and saying self-deprecating things like 'I can't even keep my balance' and 'I'm horrible at this'. It was effective -- I'm sure no one doubted my awareness of my own failings. But was it worth it? It didn't improve my dancing. If anything, it made it worse, because I became so preoccupied with my appearance that I couldn't focus on my feet. Talking myself down did nothing for my confidence and less for my ability. I would never have done it had the others not been there. But what did it do for them? It didn't help anyone's opinion of me. It was self-destructive. And I do it all the time, not just in dance.

This can't go on. I need to work on accepting and caring for MYSELF. I need to practice and not care what anyone else thinks if I'm going to improve my form. I need to have more faith in them. I need to believe that they want to think well of me. I need to allow them to be the best they can be. And if someone doesn't like what I do, I hope they'll care enough to let me know in an encouraging way, but if they don't, I need to move past it and try to better myself. That's the only way I'll ever get anywhere.

(Speaking of appearances, who likes the new color scheme on the blog?) (I do! I do!) (Blue! Blue! Blue!)

3 comments:

  1. I stink at dancing too! (And I'm not just saying that so that people know that I know that I stink)
    The worst part about a dance class is all those mirrors. If the mirrors weren't there, then maybe I could convince myself that I was performing the moves the way they are supposed to look. But, all I have to do to is look straight ahead and I see myself reflected in the mirror looking like a total gimp and not at all like the instructor!
    It's OK though, I just laugh and enjoy the class anyway. Sometimes it's good to have a full hour to laugh at myself... I figure a little humility never hurt anyone. Least of all me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This wisdom warms me. Especially because it comes from you. What a terrific Aha.

    I used to do the same thing as you did in dance whenever I played sports. And it didn't help my confidence or my ability.

    I love the thought that you need to have more faith in others -- to not be judgmental of you.

    And the shoelace chewing metaphor made me laugh out loud.

    New colour scheme is awesome. Zephyr would approve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, your insight is encouraging. You will deal with this self consciousness because you have recognized it and its futility. Your talent in writing is developing well and you need to boldly go forth without the sense of audience affirmation to get all that is in you on the pages where it belongs. I think you have very accurately a genetic characteristic that may have come from me.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts here. Or your cookies. Really, anything you feel like sharing.